Thursday, June 29, 2006

Secret lives of Kaiju

I've long been amused by the not-so-subtle differences between American and Japanese culture. While each is undeniably quirky in it's own way, I'll vote the Japanese as culture-quirk kings, hands down. Here's a prime example why: back in 1989 when I was working with Dave Strandquest at Cinema Concepts, Batman was in theatres and the garage kit market was in full swing. Japanese garage kits of this era were the generally the nicest, not just because of the overindulgent sculpts, but also because of the hi-concept box graphics, and the uh... unpredictable nature of the instruction sheets. Well, in that catagory this one takes the cake! It came with the Inoue Arts '62 Godzilla release and...well, it's like no other model instructions I've ever seen before. Check out the page below and you may find yourself asking --as I did-- what in the Hell??!? Here I always thought them Gargantua twins were brothers for cryin' out loud --& had no clue about the other two!
...Ya think ya know people.


Seriously, If anybody has any instructions that rival this one for weirdness, let me know --I'd love to see 'em.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Pope said...

Godzilla's feet must work on the same principles as Daisy Ducks, considering how well he fit into those thigh-high boots! And WHAT IN THE NAME OF GOD, MOTHER AND COUNTRY is that thing crawing up the wall with ol' King Kong? Looks like some reject from a Robert Crumb sketchpad or somethin'...Oh, and it's good to see your'e still getting some mileage out of that J. Jonah Jameson pic

9:43 PM

 
Blogger Tony Aguirre said...

I wonder what the "safety" word was. You had to know Ga'zilla was into some kinky shit. He just had that gleam in his eye, like a drunk redneck. King Kong DOES look like a bitch.

10:03 PM

 
Blogger C. Martin Croker said...

That High-heeled, woman-legged beastie and kink-machine is is none other than your ol' pal Angilas, Pope! (who else?)
You should really try to get out more.

11:38 PM

 
Blogger Robert Pope said...

Well Hell, it is Angilas! I guess I wasn't looking that closely...and I consider that a GOOD thing!

9:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home