Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Incoming: El Superbeasto!

This Spring will see the long awaited release of The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, a 2-d (!) animated theatrical production written and conceived by Rob Zombie. As 2-d animated feature films grow fewer and farther between I'm pulling for it to be enjoyable --or at least be watchable and turn a solid profit. Different from Rob's own "house" style (as displayed in a Beavis' peyote trip in Beavis and Butthead Do America) the overall look of the film is more like Ralph Bakshi meets Ren and Stimpy, thanks in large part to the talents of Spumco alumnus Director Doug "Spongebob" Lawrence, Co-Director Carey Yost, and Chris Riccardi.

The film centers on a Santo-type, lout of a Mexi-wrestler and his epic battle with Dr. Satan (voiced by the always-great Paul Giamatti). Though a version Dr. Satan appears in House of 1000 Corpses, this guy looks totally different. Tom Kenny of Spongebob fame and Brian Posehn lend their vocal talents as well. This week Rob Zombie posted some new pics from the movie on his Myspace page. Here's some choice selects. Enjoy!


Yow! Zombie Nazis! Shades of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (1977) ...













No denying it's got a nice look... and like Rob's previous films you can bet it's R-rated for violence and what-not. Personally I just really hope it's not as full of the detracting "mean for mean's sake" spirit that has hobbled his 3 previous films -- and escalated with each new script. (I liked House of 1000 Corpses...but hated the Halloween remake.) But I guess we'll all find out once it's released...

For "full disclosure", check out Rob's My Space page at:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=28735418

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim T says: Wow, those Nazi zombie guys really DO evoke Wizards. I was thinking "shades of Wizards" as I looked at it, then scrolled down and saw that that's what you'd written. Funny.

6:12 PM

 
Blogger Craig J. Clark said...

I was less than impressed with Halloween as well, but from the screenshots this looks like it could actually be a lot of fun.

7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Wizards, the only Bakshi film I enjoyed enough to buy. Perhaps they'll call one of the zombie Nazis "Fritz."

Let's hope this movie is as impressive as the screen shots make it look. The animated Captain Spalding in the last one gave me a chuckle.

8:34 PM

 
Blogger "Lt. Otowski" said...

I hope that it does well, too. I miss seeing 2D cartoons on the big screen.

2:35 PM

 
Blogger MC said...

You had me at the Luchador.

11:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
Marco M.
http://www.mellart.com

4:44 AM

 
Blogger Trevor Thompson said...

Oh man, I can't wait! I love Bakshi and Spumco!

- trevor.

1:00 PM

 
Blogger C.M.B. said...

I really hope I like this. The artwork alone is wonderful and alive, and the crew is top notch. I just hope the writing doesn't fall flat, because something like this could reinvigorate 2D adult animation on the big screen. I remember when I saw the art and animation for R&S Adult Party Cartoon and was saddened by how lousy the writing was. While I like to see more cartoonists write cartoons, like with classic Ren and Stimpy, Dexter, Powerpuff, Spongebob, Chowder and the likes, I don't think the blanket attitude of "any cartoonist can outwrite a sitcom writer" holds truth for every instance. But I'm babbling. This film looks cool. Hopefully it's great.

4:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home